Home               Back

Industrial History Heritage Open Days in Surrey
Thursday 6 - Sunday 9 September 2012

See www.heritageopendays.org.uk for details of all events in England

Mullard Space Science Laboratory Open Day

Holmbury Hill Road, Holmbury St Mary, Dorking, Surrey, RH5 6NT

Visit UCL's Mullard Space Science Laboratory to learn about the origins of the UK's space science programme and the world-leading role that is played today as telescopes are put into space to study the sun, planets, galaxies, black holes and more! Listen to talks, meet the scientists and engineers and see the telescopes we build. A tour will guide you through the history of Holmbury House where we are based. Children aged 8+ years are most welcome. Parental supervision is required at all times but activities are suitable for children and grassed area is available.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1400-1700 (programme begins at 1400)

Access: The house is accessible to wheelchair users for the talks. The grounds are only partly accessible to wheelchair users and the disabled toilet is in adjacent building, accessible by wheelchair.

Additional information: Max 100 people can book including children. No children under 8 years

Directions: Travel to Holmbury St Mary by B2126 from A25 at Abinger Hammer or A29 at Ockley. In the village, turn west up Pitland Street onto Holmbury Hill Road for a little over one mile. Very limited on-site parking.

Seething Wells Waterworks and the Defeat of King Cholera Tour

The Fox and Hounds, Portsmouth Road, Surbiton, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT6 4HS

This is a unique site in the history of public health and the start of epidemiology. The Lambeth Waterworks was established in Seething Wells in 1852 and it was water from these works that Dr John Snow used to prove that cholera was waterborne. You can see the surviving Lambeth and Chelsea Waterworks buildings as well as the filter beds alongside the Thames now home to a rich bio-diverse wildlife.

Opening Times

Thursday 6th September: Tour 1400

Friday 7th September: Tour 1400

Saturday 8th September: Tour 1400

Sunday 9th September: Tour 1400

Additional information: Max 20 per tour.

Directions: RAIL - start of the tour is 15 mins walk from Surbiton Station.

Thames Sailing Club

Portsmouth Road, Surbiton, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey

Thames Sailing Club offers a fascinating insight into a past world. A playground for the rich, built on a tip; yet touched by royalty from Queen Victoria to our current royal family. The boats sailed include a fleet, many of which are over 100 years old, and these craft provided much of the innovation for many of today's small boat sailing fleets...and how on earth is there a connection between this club and the Sopwith bi-plane in WWI?

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1100-1600

Access: Full access with assistance; slopes and narrow paths to negotiate.

Additional information: Children must be supervised at all times because of the proximity of the River Thames which has deep water and fast currents at certain times.

Directions: On Portsmouth Road, opp the sourthern end of Raven's Ait, an island in the River Thames. Grid reference: TQ178680

Ockley Windmill

Ockley, Dorking, Surrey, RH5 5TQ

Opportunity to visit this newly rebuilt Surrey Smock Mill. Although rebuilt as a house, the original external and many internal features have been replicated. There will be a small exhibition of photographs. As building work is still in progress children MUST be kept with accompanying adult/s at all times.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1400-1700

Sunday 9th September: 1400-1700

Additional information: Please park in the village.

Directions: South of the village of Ockley village on the A29 (Stane Street) and in a field opposite Elmers Road. RAIL - Walking distance from Ockley station. Grid reference: TQ147395

Sondes Place Farm

Milton Court Farm, Westcott Road, Dorking, Surrey, RH4 3LY

A farm walk explaining current and past operations on the farm. Tour of the farm seeing animals, crops and explaining the history of the farm. The Broom family has farmed here since 1897.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: Walk 1400-1700

Additional information: No children under 5 There may be a lot of walking.

Brookwood Military Cemetery

Dawney Hill, Pirbright, Woking, Surrey, GU24 0JB

Brookwood Military Cemetery was established in 1917 for servicemen and women who died in hospitals in the London area from wounds received on the Western Front, of sickness or in training accidents. The cemetery was extended for the burial of Second World War casualties. For Heritage Open Days there will be tours available and demonstrations on the Commission's horticulture and works practises and casualty traces. Children's trail available.

Opening Times

Friday 7th September: 1000-1600

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1600

Directions: Brookwood is 30 miles from London (M3 to Bagshot and then A322). The main entrance to Brookwood Military Cemetery is on the A324 from the village of Pirbright. Limited parking. RAIL - There is a direct train service from Waterloo to Brookwood Station from which there is an entrance to the cemetery. Grid reference: SU948565

Norbury Park Woodland Management Guided Walk

Meet at Fetcham Car Park, Leatherhead, Surrey

1.5 hour guided walk to look at and discuss woodland management within a public open space.

Opening Times

Sunday 9th September: Walk 1400

Access: Due to slopes and uneven ground, wheelchair access is not recommended.

Additional information: Max 30 people.

Directions: Fetcham Park car park, off the roundabout on A246 at the entrance to Bocketts Farm. BUS - Nearest bus stop 0.25 miles 465 route. RAIL - Nearest train station Leatherhead 2.5 miles. Grid reference: TQ151549

Gunpowder Store

Stonebridge Road, Shalford, Surrey, GU4 8EP

A dark, wooden boarded building on saddle stones, the only remaining gunpowder store beside the Wey & Arun Canal. This building is rarely open to the public. There will be displays on the history of the Wey & Arun Canal. Also guided walks from the Gunpowder store along part of the old route of the Wey & Arun Canal, via Tannery Lane Bridge (the only roving bridge built on the canal), Gosden Aqueduct and finishing at the old Bramley railway station. Approx 2 miles.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1400-1700; Walk 1500

Additional information: The Wey and Arun Canal Trust would like to acknowledge the assistance received from The National Trust and Gordon Murray Design Limited.

Directions: Parking is available at Broadford Business Park, Shalford, near Guildford, GU4 8EP, behind the Parrot Inn on the A248 Shalford to Peasmarsh road. Parking available at Broadford Business Park, Shalford, near Guildford, GU4 8EP (located behind the Parrot Inn, on the A248 Shalford to Peasmarsh Road).

Ruins of Betchworth Castle

Meet at Betchworth Park Golf Club, Reigate Road, Dorking, Surrey, RH4 1NZ

Betchworth Castle is a ruined fortified manor house in a commanding position above the River Mole. Guides will explain how the site fits into the local landscape, the function of rooms within the surviving masonry shell, its refurbishment by Sir John Soane in 1798 and why it became a ruin in 1835. The masonry has recently undergone conservation, so will be of particular interest to students and conservation professionals. The last owner of the castle is buried in the Hope Mausoleum - see 'The Deepedene Trail' entry.

Opening Times

Thursday 6th September: Limited access during daylight hours

Friday 7th September: Limited access during daylight hours

Saturday 8th September: Limited access during daylight hours

Sunday 9th September: Tour 1000, 1200 & 1400

Access: 500 m walk along made-up drive, suitable for wheelchairs. Turning at head of drive is possible, with care, for those needing to drive the distance.

Additional information: Max 20 per tour.

Directions: Meet in loop of old road near sign to Betchworth Park Golf Club, RH4 1NZ. BUS: Arriva buses (stop at 'Castle Gardens'), nos 21, 22, 32 - Redhill to Guildford. Telephone 01483 505693 for service details. Grid reference: TQ185501

Claremont Mansion

Claremont Fan Court School, Claremont Drive, Esher, Surrey, KT10 9LY

Palladian House designed by Capability Brown for Clive of India. It later became the home of George IV's daughter, Princess Charlotte, on her marriage to Leopold of Saxe-Coburg. It was a favourite family home of the young Queen Victoria, who spent many of her birthdays at Claremont. The exiled French King and Queen Louis-Philippe and Marie-Amelie lived here after the 1848 Revolution.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1100-1700; Tours: 1130 & 1500

Access: Unfortunately at present there is no wheelchair access to the Mansion owing to the flight of steps leading to the front door.

Directions: Entrance is either through the Lodge Gates from Copsem Lane (A224 to Oxshott) or from Portsmouth Road (A307 to Cobham; entrance is next to the National Trust property (Claremont Landscape Gardens). Entry will also be possible on foot from the National Trust property. There is ample parking space. RAIL - Trains every half hour from Claygate station from Waterloo and Guildford. BUS - K3 to Claremont Lodge Gates in Copsem Lane.

Holmwood Common - German Aircraft Dig

Scammels Car Park (TQ182464)/Fourwents Car Parks (TQ184454), Blackbrook Road, Holmwood, Dorking, Surrey

A rare opportunity to observe an archaeological dig of a World War II aircraft which crashed on Holmwood Common. Stay for as little or as long as you like to see what is uncovered and learn more about the crew, their mission and some of the finds from an earlier dig. The aircraft was a Junkers JU 88 and more information about the crew and crash can be found at http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/luft1944/Straube.html

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1600

Directions: Car parks are situated off Blackbrook Road, accessed from the A24 at South Holmwood along Mill Road then left onto Blackbrook Road. RAIL - Train stations at Holmwood and Dorking with a walk of approximately 2 miles. Grid reference: TQ182464

Oakhurst Cottage

The Cricket Green, Hambledon, Surrey, GU8 4HF

A restored and simply furnished labourer's cottage, containing many interesting examples of the changing ways of life over the years. Also a delightful cottage garden.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1300-1700

Additional information: Max 6 visitors in the Cottage at one time.

Directions: Off A283 bewteen Wormley and Chiddingfold. 4.9 miles from NT Winkworth Arboretum. Grid reference: SU965380

Farncombe Day Centre

St John's Street, Farncombe, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 3EH

Originally built as Farncombe Church of England School in 1858 and extended with the addition of the clock tower in 1884. The clock is a hand-wound striking turret clock, manufactured by John Moore of Clerkenwell, restored by Freddie Hill of Godalming in 1988 when the building was converted to the local Age Concern day centre. Also look out for the brass compass rose now on the wall which was set into the floor of the school hall.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1300

Additional information: Tea/coffee and cakes available.

Directions: Situated at the north end of St John's Street, opposite the Co-op. Limited parking at front of building. BUS - Bus stop outside door. RAIL - Short walk from Farncombe station. Grid reference: SU977450

Claremont Landscape Garden

Portsmouth Road, Esher, Surrey, KT10 9JG

Claremont is a beautiful garden surrounding a small lake and featuring an unusual grass amphitheatre. The garden's creation and development has involved great names in garden history, including Sir John Vanbrugh, Charles Bridgeman, William Kent and 'Capability' Brown. In 1726 it was described as 'the noblest of any in Europe' and the garden today is of national importance. Visitors walking round the lake will see the island and pavilion, grotto and many viewpoints and vistas. There are hidden features to enjoy as well as wider estate walks and a new children's play area. Children's trail & play area.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1800

Additional information: The Belvedere Tower will be open 1400-1700 for a small charge.

Directions: A307 Esher to Cobham Road. One mile outside Esher heading towards Cobham. No access from A3 Esher bypass. RAIL - nearest station Esher (2 miles). BUS - 515 Kingston - Guildford. Stops close to Esher station & immediately outside the garden.

Period Costumed Military Life

Castle Green, Castle Street, Guildford, Surrey

Experience the life of a British Napoleonic Solider. The 2nd (Queen's Royal) Regiment of Foot will be demonstrating life in camp, drill and of course welcoming all those who wish to take the King's Shilling. See demonstrations and exhibits of life in the military through the ages.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1600

The Brew House

155 High Street (at rear of Guildford House), Guildford, Surrey, GU1 3AJ

Located in the courtyard of Guildford House. Grade II listed building, c.1700. Original use was possibly a brew house for Guildford House. Beer was the main household drink until the mid 19th century and was brewed mostly at home. Large houses often had a separate brew house such as this one. 'Dresses from the jubilee decades' - art work from pupils at George Abbot School, Guildford will be on display.

Opening Times

Thursday 6th September: 1000-1645

Friday 7th September: 1000-1645

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1645

Sunday 9th September: 1100-1600

Additional information: Courtyard cafe open. Craft shop open Thursday – Saturday 1000 – 16.45, Sunday 1100 – 1600.

The John Lewis Undercroft

Riverside Walk, John Lewis Building, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT1 1TE

Chalk and flint vaulted cellar built c.1350. It was lifted bodily from its original position on the site and now joins the medieval bridge remains , c.1170, in the basement.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1600

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1600

Access: Access via Riverside to see top level only.

Directions: Go to menswear exit through back doors down to riverside walk and you will see ruins.

Baron's Cave

Reigate Castle Grounds, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 0SH

A set of tunnels beneath the site of Reigate castle. They are believed to be the medieval wine cellar of the highly influential de Warenne family. The history of the cave through to modern times is presented through guided tours.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1600 (last tour 1545)

Additional information: Other caves in Reigate will be open at normal entry charge.

Directions: Located in the centre of Reigate. Follow digns fro mBoots on the High Street, up a flight of steps. 10 mins walk form Reigate station. Grid reference: TQ252503

Mill Church

Reigate Heath, Flanchford Road, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 8QR

18th century windmill which became a church towards the end of the 19th century. Believed to be the only consecrated windmill in the UK.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1200-1600

Sunday 9th September: 1400-1600

Additional information: Max 30 people at a time.

Directions: Clearly signposted from the Reigate heath car park. The Mill Church is next to the Golf Clubhouse.

Shalford Mill

The Street, Shalford, Guildford, Surrey, GU48BS

Large timber-framed watermill on the River Tillingbourne with well-preserved machinery. Despite no longer functioning, the machinery remains almost unaltered since ceasing operations in 1914. Costumed, guided tours available all day.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1100-1630

Access: The Mill is on 3 floors with access to the upper floors via original ladders. There is a virtual tour running on the ground floor for those unable to access the upper floors.

Directions: A281 Guildford - Bramley road. Opposite The Seahorse public house. BUS - 21/22/24/25/32 from Guildford. These all stop a minute's walk from the Mill. RAIL- Shalford station.

Dapdune Wharf

Wharf Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4RR

Unusual National Trust property. Dapdune Wharf dates back to the mid-17th century, when it was a wharf for the Wey Navigation. Later it also became the centre for barge-building on the Wey. Exhibitions and boat trips available and costumed guided tours on Saturday.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1100-1700

Additional information: Sandwiches, cakes, hot and cold drinks and cream teas available. Shalford Mill and the Navigations Workshop at Send will also open (Send Workshop: 1100-1500) and there will be a guided walk from Dapdune Wharf to Shalford Mill and back, leaving at 1400.

Directions: Dapdune Wharf is just behind the Surrey county Cricket Ground on Woodbridge Road. Car park at Dapdune Wharf. No parking at Shalford Mill or the Navigations Workshop in Send. RAIL - Guildford station 10 min walk. BUS - 28 Guildford - Woking; 20 Guildford - Aldershot; 4 Guildford - Park Barn.

Reigate Fort Walk

Wray Lane car park, Reigate Hill, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 0HS

A short walk along the North Downs Way to Reigate Fort, followed by a tour of the fort and inside its buildings. Learn about the history and uses of this recently restored site and the important role that this Scheduled Ancient Monument played in the evolution of warfare.

Opening Times

Sunday 9th September: Walk 1000-1200

Access: Wheelchair access to fort but not to the open buildings. There is also a relatively steep slope to negotiate on the route.

Additional information: Max 30 people. The site itself has a couple of drops but these are fenced and should be fine for children if accompanied by an adult. A variety of refreshments are available in Wray Lane car park from the cafe. If you go straight to the Fort, please allow some time for the guide to walk up from the car park with everybody else. The site is only a 10 min walk from the car park.

Directions: J8 off M25 car park is 400 yrds away and signposted. Meet by the noticeboard in the car park. Wray Lane car park is free. RAIL - Reigate station. BUS - 420/460; alight at the top of Reigate Hill.

Nonsuch Mansion (Service Wing Museum and Gallery)

Nonsuch Park, Ewell Road, Cheam, Surrey, SM3 8AL

Tudor-gothic mansion designed by Jeffrey Wyatt for wealthy merchant Samuel Farmer in 1806. Style later used by Wyatt at Windsor castle. The Service Wing has been restored and is shown in Victorian-era; it includes dairy, sculleries, kitchen larders and laundries. Children who have done Victorian era at school will find this a good example of servants' working conditions.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1400-1645

Sunday 9th September: 1400-1645

Access: Wheelchairs can access all but one larder and that can be adequately viewed.

Additional information: New Nonsuch Gallery has model of Henry VIII's Nonsuch Palace - £2.50 admission charge to see this. Cafe serving drinks, snacks and ice creams.

Directions: Off Cheam/Ewell Rd (A232). Enter by Cheam Gate, park & walk 200 yds. Car park adjacent. BUS - Nos. 213, 151 & 293. RAIL - 1m from Cheam station.

Surrey Society of Model Engineers

Mill Lane, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 9AA

Behind-the-scenes tour of model engineering society which mainly concentrates on miniature railways. Sited on six acres close to the River Mole at the lower end of Leatherhead, this is a rare opportunity to learn more about the varied activities of this well-established society. The tour starts with a look back in time to the history of the old mill and the watercress beds, including the remains of the 500 mm gauge watercress tramway. The extensive tracks feature both ground and raised level, in three different gauges, with a variety of steam and diesel locomotives and rolling stock, many of which have been painstakingly built by members of the society. There are various in-scale period outbuildings such as signal boxes and an engine shed. After the tour there will be an opportunity to have a ride on one of the trains which run on tracks around the perimeter of the site, at times crossing over the crystal clear water of the Mill Pond stream.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1400-1600; Tour 1400

Access: Most areas are accessible to wheelchairs but it is a grass site so may be difficult in parts.

Additional information: Max 60 people. Refreshments available.

Directions: Off Waterways Road. Local buses and trains stop in Leatherhead. Grid reference: TQ159564

Woodland Heritage Day

Tunnel Car Park, Bookham Commons, Church Road, Great Bookham, Leatherhead, Surrey

Demonstrations and exhibitions of all things wooded! Heavy-horse timber extraction, make-your-own wooden stool or a birch broom, Morris dancing, timber sawing and much more ...

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1100-1700

Access: Provision can be made for disabled parking on-site. Most ground level and easy-access.

Additional information: Children to be supervised at all times. Plenty of volunteer helpers/supervision. On-site toilet facilities and catering van.

Directions: Tunnel Car Park is 100 metre walk E of Bookham railway station. Nearest post code KT23 3LT. BUS/RAIL - to Bookham Railway Station. Grid reference: TQ130557

Surrey on Film 1914-1953: A Community in Peace and War

Letherhead Institute, 67 High Street, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 8AH

A chance to see this fascinating film produced jointly by the Screen Archive South East and Surrey History Centre. It traces community life in the county from peacetime through the trauma of two world wars. In this year of the Diamond Jubilee, the film closes with the celebrations for Queen Elizabeth II's coronation in 1953.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1600

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1600

Access: Lift available.

Directions: The Institute is at the junction of the east end of Leatherhead High Street and Leret Way. Parking available in town centre car parks. Pay & Display on Saturday. RAIL - 10 mins from Leatherhead rail station. BUS - Town centre bus services. Grid reference: TQ165564

Manor Farm Tithe Barn

Manor Farm, Manor House Lane, Little Bookham, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT23 4EW

15th century Grade II listed tithe barn, one of the largest in Surrey at 4,500 sq ft. Built originally for All Saints' Church, Little Bookham (see separate entry). Families most welcome! Children's quiz.

Opening Times

Sunday 9th September: 0900-1700

Additional information: Refreshments will be available.

Directions: Off the A246 from Guildford towards Leatherhead, turn left into Manor House Lane, the barn/farm is on the right-hand side opposite school entrance. Parking limited to 10 cars.

Air Raid Shelter and Stationary Engine Collection

The White House, Chapel Lane, Westcott, Dorking, Surrey, RH4 3PJ

Private collection of internal combustion engines ranging from 1899 to 1950, operating on gas, lamp oils and heavy oils. Also on site is an original air raid shelter in cast concrete.

Opening Times

Friday 7th September: 1230-1730

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1730

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1730

Additional information: No more than 50 people at a time. No children under 12 No children under 12 years. Refreshments will be served.

Directions: 2m W of Dorking on A25, off Furlong Road in village centre. Site is signposted. Limited parking places on site. Site is a very short walk from Westcott village centre. BUS - Buses from Dorking Station nos. 21, 22, 32; no Sunday services.

Slyfield House

Stoke D'Abernon, Surrey, KT11 3QE

A small Jacobean manor house in private ownership.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: Tour 1100

Access: Wheelchair access to garden and ground floor only.

Additional information: Max 20 people. Adults only (18+) Not suitable for prams/buggies. Refreshments available.

Directions: Directions given on booking. Grid reference: TQ134579

Rowhurst

Fire and Iron Gallery, Oxshott Road, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 0EN

2012, brim full of anniversaries, seems like a good excuse to bake plenty of cakes. Half of Rowhurst is 380, the other half a daunting 666! Next door, Rowhurst Forge celebrates its 80th birthday and Fire and Iron Gallery its 30th. Fire and Iron is making several artworks in 2012 to commemorate not only HM The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, but also other anniversaries, such as the Letherhead Institute's 120th birthday, the Leatherhead Residents Associations's 35th and the 10th anniversary of the discovery of Britain's richest ever Early Bronze Age burial at Boscombe Down. We are creating special Heritage Open Days cakes to mark such diverse occasions. The cakes will be displayed at Rowhurst (recipes available) and you can see them and the ground floor of the house at the same time. If you fancy baking a cake to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee and local heritage, please do so and send photos of your finished cake with your recipe, your age and contact details to lucy@fireandi

Opening Times

Friday 7th September: 1300-1700

Saturday 8th September: 1300-1700

Sunday 9th September: 1300-1700

Access: Rowhurst is an old building with lots of steps. However, one entrance has a small step only 6cm high and we can assist wheelchair users by arrangement. This entrance provides access to rooms with a good sense of the whole ground floor.

Additional information: The house is old, with lots of steps and hazards. Carefully supervised children are most welcome.

Directions: Signposted with brown and white signs to 'Fire and Iron Gallery' from the A244. Just off Junction 9 eastbound M25, between M25 bridge and Leatherhead Tesco. Limited parking available. Grid reference: TQ160588

Norbury Park Sawmill

Norbury Park, Mickleham, Dorking, Surrey, RH5 6DN

Come and see what the team get up to at the sawmill. We will be running live demonstrations throughout the day on how locally-sourced timber is processed and made into a range of products. Families most welcome!

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1600

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1600

Access: Limited disabled/wheelchair access - please ring 01372 453371 in advance.

Additional information: Refreshments will be served.

Directions: The Mill is located in the centre of the park near Norbury Park House. The nearest village is Mickleham. Follow direction signs from the A24 at Mickleham to the Mill. For further details see www.norburyparksawmill.org.uk. RAIL - nearest stations are Leatherhead or Boxhill & Westhumble. BUS - 465 bus stop at Mickleham village. Grid reference: TQ157537

Lowfield Heath Windmill

Russ Hill, Charlwood, Horley, Surrey, RH6 0EL

Lowfield Heath Windmill is a Grade II listed building. Originally built c.1740 at Lowfield Heath, it worked until the 1880s. This post mill fell into disrepair over the next 100 years until it was dismantled in 1987; it was moved to its present site at Russ Hill Road, Charlwood. Enjoy a guided tour to learn about its history and use.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1700

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1700

Access: Wheelchair access to Roundhouse only.

Additional information: Limited number can access the upper parts of the mill at any one time. Children under 5 prohibited entry upstairs.

Directions: 1/2m W of Charlwood on Russ Hill Rd/Rusper Rd. Grid reference: TQ235407

Dorking Caves

South Street, Dorking, Surrey, RH4 2HQ

Part of Dorking's extensive system of cellars and caves cut into the soft Greensand dating back to at least the 17th century. Entrance is via a discreet doorway at street level into extensive galleries used, until recently, as wine cellars. From the wine cellars a series of steep staircases lead down deep under Butter Hill to a cave of uncertain age and purpose. Explore the caves with expert guide Richard Selley. Please note the access restrictions detailed below.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: Tour 1100, 1200, 1400 & 1500

Access: WC nearby. No wheelchair access. The tour is not epic, but is not suitable for people with bad arthritis, heart or breathing problems, claustrophobia, arachnophobia or advanced pregnancy. Sensible footwear must be worn. People wearing flip flops, high heels and open-toed shoes will not be admitted.

Additional information: Max 12 per tour. No children under five and unaccompanied children under 11 years will not be admitted.

Directions: South Street - opposite Waitrose. Entrance door beside the War Memorial. Pay & display car parks in town centre. BUS - adjacent to 21, 22 and 32 route. Grid reference: TQ164154

Denbies Wine Estate

London Road, Dorking, Surrey, RH5 6AA

Outdoor vineyard train tour to the top of Ranmore Common, overlooking 265 acres of vines, Box Hill and Dorking town.

Opening Times

Thursday 6th September: Tour 1000

Friday 7th September: Tour 1000

Saturday 8th September: Tour 1000

Sunday 9th September: Tour 1000

Additional information: Max 30 per tour.

Directions: Off A24 outside Dorking. J 9 of M25. RAIL - By train, Dorking or Dorking Deepdene stn. 5 min walk from Dorking main station.

Broome Park Ice House

Broome Park Nursing Home, Station Road, Betchworth, Surrey, RH3 7DF

An unusual building located within an 18th century landscape, the Ice House served Broome Park, the former residence of Sir Benjamin Brodie, doctor to George IV.

Opening Times

Thursday 6th September: 1000-1600

Friday 7th September: 1000-1600

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1600

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1600

Access: Uneven ground, wheelchair access would be difficult.

Additional information: Delightful grounds, children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.

Directions: Take Station Rd south at Betchworth roundabout on the A25 half way between Dorking and Reigate. Entrance on left-hand side. Flag will be flying. Limited parking on-site. BUS: There is a local service which stops at Betchworth Post Office and near the Red Lion pub. Grid reference: TQ210506

Brockham Limeworks & Hearthstone Mine

Brockham Limeworks, Chalkpit Lane, Brockham, Dorking, Surrey, RH3 7HA

Chalkpits and lime kilns last worked in 1936 and scheduled as an Ancient Monument and a hearthstone mine shaft last worked in 1925. Now an important nature reserve and bat hibernation site. Short guided walk to see chalkpits, kilns and mine shaft. Good picnic spot.

Opening Times

Thursday 6th September: Walk 1300, 1430, 1600

Friday 7th September: Walk 1300, 1430, 1600

Sunday 9th September: Walk 1030, 1300, 1430 & 1600

Access: Rough ground unsuitable for wheelchair access.

Directions: Chalkpit Lane is a private road off the A25 on the north side. A short way to the east of the road to Brockham village. There is strictly no parking in Chalkpit Lane. Limeworks are beyond the Level Crossing and cottages at north end. NO PARKING IN CHALKPIT LANE. BUS - 32 (hourly) to Brockham Green but not on Sunday. RAIL - Train to Betchworth. Grid reference: TQ198511

The Ivy Conduit

Holy Cross Preparatory School, George Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT2 7NU

The Ivy Conduit, part of the water system that supplied Hampton Court Palace in Tudor times, is situated in the grounds of the school. The old school building, one time home of the author John Galsworthy, will be partially open to visit. In the gardens there is an adventure trail & two Victorian fish ponds.

Opening Times

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1600

Access: Access to site is very steep across grass. No wheelchair access to old school building.

Directions: BUS - service from Kingston town centre to Kingston Hill. Get off at The Lodge Hotel, Kingston Hill into George Rd.

Coombe Conduit

Corner of Lord Chancellor Walk, Coombe Lane West, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT2 7HE

Guided tours of a Tudor conduit house, part of a system built to supply water to Hampton Court Palace.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1200-1600

Sunday 9th September: 1200-1600

Additional information: There is unfortunately no wheelchair access from the street to the site. Nor is there any parking or toilets.

Directions: On A238, 2 m from Kingston, on corner of Lord Chancellor Walk and opposite Coombe Hill School. BUS - No. 57 Kingston - Clapham Park. UNDERGROUND - to Wimbledon, then no. 57 bus. Grid reference: TQ204698

Greyfriars Vineyard

Hogs Back, Puttenham, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 1AG

Greyfriars Vineyard is a small vineyard originally established in 1989, growing Chardonnay and Pinot Noir on the south facing slopes of the Hogs Back Ridge. The vineyard has recently come under new management and we are in the early stages of significantly expanding both the vineyard and winery to become a small commercial producer of high quality sparkling wines. Visitors will be able to see how we grow the grapes and make our wine and sample and buy the final product.

Opening Times

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1600

Directions: A31- the turn is signposted as a veterinary centre then follow signs marked with a bottle.

Manor Farm Craft Centre

Wood Lane, Seale, Guildford, Surrey, GU10 1HR

The 18th century farm buildings were converted in 1980 to house a craft centre. The cow sheds are now occupied by craft units and a shop. The Tea Room occupies the old milking barn which has exposed stone walls and roof timbers. Continuous exhibitions of paintings and photographs. People will be on hand to discuss the crafts etc.

Opening Times

Friday 7th September: 1030-1700

Saturday 8th September: 1030-1700

Sunday 9th September: 1030-1700

Access: Approach road is gravel and tarmac with a gentle slope downwards so some assistance may be required.

Additional information: Home-made refreshments available. Toilets nearby belonging to the church.

Directions: There are 10 parking spaces. Road parking allowed in the area.

Lovelace Mausoleum

St Martin's Church Yard, Ockham Road South, East Horsley, Guildford, Surrey, KT24 6RL

Built by the 1st Earl of Lovelace at the end of the 19th century, in the unique Lovelace architectural style that dominates the village of East Horsley, a combination of flint, with moulded red, white and black terracotta brickwork. The interior comprises a tall and airy vault with a fine groined brick dome, similar to that found in the chapel of the nearby Horsley Towers. Stone stairs lead down to the historic sepulchre containing the tombs of the Earl, interred in 1893 and his second wife Jane who died in 1908. After decades of neglect, it has been fully restored to its original splendour by expert craftsmen and stands proud of its place in local heritage. Free organ recital in St Martin's church on Saturday, all welcome

Opening Times

Friday 7th September: 1000-1600

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1600; organ recital 1230-1330

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1600

Access: This venue is not suitable for wheelchair access.

Additional information: Light refreshments in St Martin's church Saturday 1000-1200 & 1400-1600, Sunday 1400-1600

Directions: A246 Epsom Road to East Horsley.

Hog's Back Brewery

Manor Farm, The Street, Tongham, Surrey, GU10 1DE

The Hog's Back Brewery was established in 1992 and is located in 18th century farm buildings in the village of Tongham. Since the early days it has expanded into the series of 18th century barns and now produces over 200 barrels a week (57,000 pints). Tours available and the shop will be open for purchases of draught and bottled beer and souvenirs.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1600

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1600

Additional information: TONGHAM HOP TRAIL - A family friendly self guided trail is available to download at www.guildford.gov.uk/heritageopendays. Follow it and see some of Tongham's historical buildings and links to the hop growing trade. Admire the unusual detached bell tower at St Paul's Church. Visit the newly refurbished Kiln where hops once were dried before making beer. Walk with your children through Tongham Community Wood and take the Heritage nature quiz for a chance to win prizes. The walk is approximately two miles long and is completely wheelchair friendly; allow 30 minutes to one hour plus time for stops.

Directions: Located just off A31 Hogs Back. Fllw brown barrel signs to The Street, Tongham. Free parking available.

The Pigeon House

Estate Yard, Albury Park, Albury, Guildford, Surrey

Octagonal red brick building, dating from around 1550, with a lantern and dormers to the roof and 300 pigeon holes within. The squabs were used for fresh food in winter and the droppings for fertiliser and the manufacturer of gunpowder. Restored in 1979/80.

Opening Times

Sunday 9th September: 1100-1700

Directions: S side of A248, 1/4 m after jct with New Rd. Turn L at notice for Weston Yard.

Vagrants' Casual Ward (The Spike)

Warren Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 3JH

This is no ordinary visitor attraction but a unique visit to a time, a place and a way of life for generations that history often chose to forget. Prepare to be deeply moved as you experience an unforgettable night at the Spike. The tour guides will introduce you to the Poor Laws and, as you step into a dark forgotten history, discover how the English treated their poor, when boys as young as seven were treated as men, the tasks that were endured experience an unforgettable night at the Spike. Approximately 600 Union Workhouses together with their Casuals Wards were built in Britain, the Guildford Ward alone remains with many of its working cells intact. Following your thought provoking tour please join the Tramp Major and Workhouse Doctor for refreshments and ask them any questions you have. Opportunity to walk in the grounds and places to picnic.

Opening Times

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1400

Directions: Junction of A246 (Waterden Rd) with A25 Epsom Rd. 100 metres on R side of Warren Rd. Free coach parking and parking available.

The Treadwheel Crane

Town Wharf, Millbrook, Guildford, Surrey

Grade II* listed building and Scheduled Ancient Monument. Late 17th/early 18th century. Believed to be the last working example of its type in the country. Access to its workings.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1600

Directions: Directions given in local programme available from Guildford Tourist Information Centre, 155 High Street, Guildford

The Town Mill and Mill Studio

Millbrook, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 3UX

Grade II listed building, formerly a water mill, now used as a theatre. The eastern range (nearest to the main road) dates from about 1771. The western range was known as the Hogsmeat Mill before its reconstruction in 1852. The date plaque, 1896, refers to the installation of new water pumps by the Guildford Corporation when the mill was converted into a waterworks. Meet in The Mill Studio theatre foyer for guided tour.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: Tour 1100 & 1200

Directions: Directions given in local programme available from Guildford Tourist Information Centre, 155 High Street, Guildford.

Wanborough Great Barn

Wanborough, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 2JR

The most important aisled barn in Surrey, dating from c.1388. It was built by the Cistercian monks of Waverley Abbey to store produce from their farm. Displays of local history and exhibitions of local art and photography.

Opening Times

Friday 7th September: 1000-1700

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1700

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1700

Access: Disabled access to Church and Barn.

Additional information: Refreshments in Village Hall, including morning coffee, light lunches and afternoon teas. For further information about this site visit the PastScape website at http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=518740<br>

Directions: A historic hamlet, 8 km west of Guildford, turn off the A31, mid way across the Hog’s Back. Free parking to Church and Barn.

The Electric Theatre

Onslow Street/ Friary Bridge, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4SZ

Housed in the former 1913 Electricity Works on the banks of the River Wey, The Electric Theatre opened in 1997. The combination of exposed original brickwork and glass walled foyer create a striking juxtaposition between old and new.

Opening Times

Sunday 9th September: Tour 1400

Additional information: The Theatre has a Café Bar and Riverside Terrace serving food and drink.

Directions: Directions given in local programme available from Guildford Tourist Information Centre, 155 High Street, Guildford.

Lovelace Bridges Trail

East Horsley, Guildford, Surrey, KT24 5RE

Four mile walk led by a member of the Horsley Countryside Preservation Society; it will visit five bridges and three bridge sites.

Opening Times

Sunday 9th September: Walk 1400

Additional information: There are no refreshments points on the walk, so come prepared! The nearest pub and shops are in East Horsley a mile from the start. Please note that some of the tracks can be rough and slippery when wet, so wear appropriate footwear.

Directions: Meet in Green Dene car park, located approx 1 mile from A246.

Chilworth Gunpowder Mills

Chilworth, Guildford, Surrey

Scheduled Ancient Monument, built in 1626 by the East India Company. Expanded rapidly when acquired in 1885 by a consortium, including a number of leading German gun powder makers. The development of cordite saw further expansion after 1892 but a downturn in the demand for explosives at the end of the First World War led to its closure in 1920. Visitors can explore the central area and see remains of fascinating industrial buildings, where volunteers will demonstrate clearance activities and limited archaeological investigation work. Chilworth Gunpowder Mills Group members will also be present.

Opening Times

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1600

Access: Wheelchair accessible, though uneven paths.

Directions: Access on foot (no parking) via Blacksmith Lane or Bridleway 252 off A248 Dorking Rd, Chilworth.

All Saints' Church, Ockham

Ockham Road North, Ockham, Guildford, Surrey, GU23 6NL

This Grade I listed Church is recorded in Domesday but the core of the building is 13th -14th century. Particular features are the 7 lancet window, ('one of the loveliest...in any village church in England'); the King Chapel with the Rysbrach monument to Lord Chancellor King (d.1734). It is known world wide through its association with the eminent Franciscan theologian, philosopher and political theorist, William of Ockham,(c.1285 - c.1349) who was probably a member of the local family of that name which produced several important clerics. He is best known for his ontological rule, 'Ockham's Razor'; but his influence on modern thinking is very wide ranging. Two sundials engraved in the church walls once showed the time services were to begin.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1300 & 1600-1900

Sunday 9th September: 1200-1800

Directions: Lane to church at junction of Ockham Rd North & Guileshill Lane.

River Wey Navigations

Woking, Surrey, GU23 7AL

Free entry to the Navigations Workshop at Send, the hub of all maintenance activity for the River Wey Navigations.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: 1100-1500

Directions: Take Potters Lane off A247, Send Rd, or the Potters Lane exit from the A3. No parking available at the Workshop.

Heritage Walk around Godalming

River Wey and Godalming Navigations, Godalming, Surrey

A 90 minute walk with the lengthsman for Catteshall length looking at the history of the town at the end of the Navigations. Meet at Godalming Wharf at 1400.

Opening Times

Saturday 8th September: Walk 1400-1530

Directions: Godalming Wharf is opposite the entrance to Sainsburys in Godalming. RAIL - 5 mins walk. BUS - 42, 44, 46, 70, 71, 92.

Godalming Museum

109a Godalming High Street, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1AQ

Situated in a medieval building, this friendly museum can be found in the heart of town. Follow the story of Godalming and its surrounding area. Explore the work of Gertrude Jekyll and the South West Surrey Arts and Crafts movement and visit the fascinating local studies library. There will be an exhibition of paintings by Stephen Hornsby-Smith.

Opening Times

Thursday 6th September: 1000-1700

Friday 7th September: 1000-1700

Saturday 8th September: 1000-1700

Sunday 9th September: 1000-1600

Access: Ground floor wheelchair access only.

Additional information: Tea and coffee will be available.

Directions: Town centre opp the Pepperpot (old Town Hall). BUS- stops outside the door (not on Sunday). RAIL-venue is nr the railway station. Grid reference: SU968438